Sunday, December 22, 2013

Got Engaged on a One Fine Day

One of the things that excites a man is to propose to the love of his life, I guess. I'm not a man but I can see how my guy office-mates take time to practice his script and actions when proposing. One of them needs human props like dancing with him when he asks his girlfriend while the other did it twice. Not because he was refused but because he found his initial moment less romantic.

My fiance never did any of those most awaited act infront of other people like what is trending nowadays. I never even expected having an engagement ring on my left ring-finger. We already planned our big day and started scouting for our wedding church and venue without really having the "traditional" way of receiving an engagement ring.


It was the 21st of December in 2013 when I least expected he will ask me, formally.

We had a misunderstanding early that morning since I was desperate to having our Church booked since most churches I called were already booked on our target date for 2014. Just the night before he had dinner with his officemates and texted me around 5:30 in the morning that he got home late and he's still awake. Our agreed time is 9am, he'll be at my doorway so we can check Sto. Domingo Church along Quezon Ave. As expected he didn't make it because he lacked sleep.

Then came a text message that he needs to sleep since he'll be driving to his province later that day with his parents. And what we girls usually feel about that! I got irritated and ofcourse cried a bit 'coz I felt he's not that interested at all. I told him that if he wanted to reschedule our initial plan, it'll be fine just tell me. He came to the lobby around 11am so I just met him there. His eyes tell so much about his lack of sleep so I didn't bother to ask him, the important thing is he's already there.


We rode a cab going to the church and he keeps touching my left ring finger. His words came out as "Sorry Labs wala man lang bling bling dito." I responded "Okay lang, di naman required. Galit ka pa nga sakin." He is holding my hands all the time. He also told me before that "Labs pasensya kana, yung pambili ko ng engagement ring, okay lang ba ipandagdag na lang sa budget natin sa kasal?" which I answered back "okay lang, di naman required" - yeah, my usual answer since my sister didn't have it.


When we came to the church, a wedding has just finished so we saw how Sto. Domingo Church was decorated with white flowers along the aisle. I told him that whenever you visit a church for the first time, you can make a wish and I believe it's always granted.I knelt and had my short prayer. When I was about to sit beside him (he on my right side), he asked me to move to his right and told me "Alam mo naman kung gaano kita kamahal?" then I replied (with teary eyes since I was irritated earlier) "Minsan. Para kasing hindi pag nag aaway tayo." Right there and then, he opened my bag and took a red/maroon box right out of it. Waahh, I didn't know how it got there!


It was a surprise proposal and everything was blurred that moment. I mean, watery eyes that were already falling down my cheeks, and the front Altar with flowers, I felt so relax I guess (really don't know the right word). He said, "I guess this it, will you marry me?" which I replied "OO." I really can't describe the feeling when you least expected it. 'Til now, I still feel floating. Hahaha.


Ofcourse after the proposal, we ate fishball, kikiam and chicken balls just across the church, down the footbridge. This is our usual bonding, eating streetfoods. :) I asked him a lot about the ring, where he got it, how it went inside my bag, etc. I didn't get much of the answer but I guess, it's common to us, women ask alot of questions and our partners just smile and feel "victorious"about that "moment".


Ending? We weren't able to book the church. The inside is nice and beautiful but the surroundings are noisy. Apologies as I wasn't able to take a picture of the church. :( Still trying to reach other churches so we can still book our target date and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment